Thursday 28 May 2009

A Sunny Corner

I always knew that one day I would paint this sunny corner.

My parent's love to visit National Trust garden's and there are many of them in Cornwall. They, and my grandparents, instilled the magic of flower gardens in me from birth. My Mother's parents had a huge Victorian house with a walled garden that she and I both grew up in. There are pictures of us at the same age on the blissful sunny lawn.

One of my favorite books as a child was "the Secret Garden" by Frances Hodgson Burnett. My Grandfather spoke with the gentle northern Thee and Thous and was always in his wellies digging. I believed he was the gardener in the book. I used to like to work alongside him, his usual silent industry broken by a whistled tune. He called me "sweet pea".

So the painting of the pot in the sunny, walled garden is a memory holder of childhood, innocence, safety, and of the joy and peace only a garden can bring.



No comments:

Post a Comment