Wednesday 3 June 2009

Secret Door



Another childhood memory was brought to mind by this garden door at Trellisick Gardens. The door seems impossible to penetrate, like the castle of the Sleeping Beauty! The wisteria has grown over it and there is no latch.

My parent's house, my childhood home, was built at the bottom of my grandparent's land. There was a gate and then a path through the orchard, past the upturned air raid shelter, the sleeping bonfire, then up beyond the berry bushes, vegetable garden, greenhouse, and into the walled flower garden and lawn. This was heaven during the daytime but turned to a nightmare at dusk. Being sent to Gran's with a message in the dark caused me to hurtle through the orchard. My imagination vivid with scenes from Disney's Snow White where the trees are alive and grab at your clothing as you pass by. The bonfire a sleeping giant, about to wake up. The dark back of the Victorian house, impenetrable.

Later in life I was asked to design the set for Into the Woods, a musical about the darker side of fairy tales. I brought these memories to life by creating trees that slithered across the stage and costmes for the dancers who were bushes that came alive. Maybe there is a few more children out there now who are afraid to go to Grandmother's house!

No comments:

Post a Comment